My Hair Regrowth And that's A Sign Of Life!

They do say you appreciate the simple things a lot more with cancer. 


For the first month of my 2nd set of new medicines, I wore a different wig. My family and close friends thought it was great when I showcased Blondie, Sportie, Cutie, and Kikay around (I put names on my wig). But the wigs were hot and uncomfortable if you don't have any hair at all and I feared I was slowing my hair growth by covering my scalp.

So I ditched the wigs unless I have official important appointments. It took me weeks to pluck up the courage to stop wearing my wig (also hot and itchy) around, but eventually, I unveiled my naked scalp with my uneven sprouting hairs and bald crown and skulked self-consciously around our home avoiding people’s gaze. One of my sissies used to call me via FB with a camera, she requested to me to please always put on my hijab since she's not used to seeing me as a talking egg. Hehehe.

Braving my head was terrifying. Thanks to my compassionate Oncology Doctor for sharing his own story about being once bald in his young days. Husay ni Doc mag palakas ng loob ko. Hehehe. 

I felt like I was walking around in a bikini or naked, but it was also liberating. I was finally just being ‘me’.

That was 3 months ago and my hair has been growing beautifully ever since. I’m still self-conscious but with the help of my big sisters, husband, and doctors I’m growing more confident with my new baby hair by the day. I would even go as far as to say I love my new hair, then hihimasin ko ulo ko ng paulit-ulit. 

Without cancer, I never could have appreciated something so simple as less than a centimeter of hair growth, but it’s a thing of beauty to me now, a silky soft layer around my head that I can’t stop touching to make sure it’s still there. Funny me, but that's the truth. Hehehe

They do say you appreciate the simple things a lot more after cancer. For me kahit di pa tapos ang journey dami-dami ko ng nakitang kakaiba and I appreciate everything. Pina picture ko ang ulo ko at may nakita akong mahahaba, kulot, sila yung mga di bumitiw at nanatiling nandoon lng. 

Losing your hair can feel a lot like losing your femininity,  especially when you lose your periods and fertility too. But with the help of my trusty doctors, love ones, I can go back to being just ‘me’. Another battle won against the big scary ‘C’.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to read this blog. It is what it is today due to your comments and support. As always, do share your comments with other readers in the name of open and honest discussion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On My Way To Recovery After My Surgery!

Healing Prayer, Healing Doctor and Medical Healing Works Together!

1st Cycle Chemotherapy Treatment (1st Course) Prayers And Good Energy For A Vast Life-changing Experience!

How Radiation Treatment Cure Tumors And How My Faith Keeps Me In My Blue Ribbon Journey!

For Every Heart That Listens, There Is A Voice That Speaks!

Where There is Family, There is Love! Here, There, And Everywhere!

34th Chemo Treatment!

November 30, 2021 Abdominal Wall and Liver CT Scan!

The Unveiling Of My Baby Hair!

Live Day By Day, One At A Time!