The Unveiling Of My Baby Hair!

To God be all the glory!

Yehey! Madami na ulit hair ko, though bungi-bungi pa kilay ko ayus na rin. If ever, balding returns I think I can handle it more bravely. Wink! My husband noticed that my hair is increasing in volume and he never forget to touch my hair and remind me that it is a sign of life. Behind his back, I always felt my tears down on my cheeks just knowing that I am really gaining back my hair. It's like a baby in my mother's womb that waiting for the exact number of days to complete me and be born. 


I just realize that I love short hair on me. My new baby hair or Virgin hair turns soft, wavy, and silky. This gives me a little fun to consider my new look, seems I want to try new looks as my hair gets longer and makes it feel more fun rather than pain (though it definitely can be). I tried to treat each length as to if I had a new haircut and was learning to restyle it. But I love it this short for many practical reasons like it's easy maintenance and I feel fresh and clean even without hair ornaments.

Coping With the Loss of Hair
The first time my doctor told me that I will lose my hair with the new combination of medicines we will use for the 2nd course "Ironotecan". I am mixed emotions, scared, sad, I really don't know why it hurts my heart so deep and silently it makes me cry inside. Tony, told me right away, it's okay to lose your hair as long as it will keep you to continue. The doctor will treat all your cancer cells out of your body and surely it won't make you less person. 

I knew some newly diagnosed with cancer share that hair loss is the treatment side effect they fear most. Hair, and the way we style it plays an important role in our identity. When combined suddenly being faced with our mortality, other bodily changes such as increased weight, chemo belly, and the social and relationship changes that go hand in hand with a cancer diagnosis, I have a difficult time coping with this temporary loss of hair, it's not easy for me to live daily without hair. 

Hair loss is one of the most dreaded side effects of chemotherapy, which works by targeting the fastest-growing cells in my body. Among the most rapid-growing cells are hair follicles, which divide every 23 to 72 hours. Because of this, hair loss is one of the most common and distressing side effects of cancer treatment. 

My doctor assures me it will be temporary. The most important thing to know is, except in extremely rare cases, the hair grows back. So, the prognosis is very favorable. 



Head Covers
Like many women, I choose to deal with my hair loss by covering my head with attractive hats or scarves, sometimes I prefer wigs. A small number of women choose not to cover their heads at all. Wigs can be itchy and scratchy, not to mention hot in warm climates. Even if you purchase a wig or two, having scarves, caps, or hats available can be like putting on your pajamas when you're exhausted. It's often recommended that we purchase a wig that is similar to our natural hair color or slightly lighter, this time of hair loss can also be a freeing time to try new things. Perhaps we've always wanted to be a blonde or maybe a redhead. Go for it.


Choosing head coverings is not something to do alone. Not only is supports critical at this time but bringing a friend can help instill joy and often humor in a stressful situation.




Hair Regrowth After Using another combination set of Chemotherapy Medicines
Whether we're just beginning chemotherapy, or well into our infusions, we are surely wondering when our hair will begin to grow back and if the rumors that it can change color and texture are true. Less talked about are the emotions and feelings that can arise when virgin hair begins to surface. I remember my sister Ate Malou, will always check on my bald head, she's always excited to check if it's curly or what. (Funny, but she does it all the time she visits me.)

Physical Return of Hair
I experience the beginnings of hair regrowth before my 19th cycle chemo treatment just timely ends my 3rd-course combination of Chemo, but for many women, they said growth appears one to three months after they stop chemo treatment.

At first, a fuzz similar to duck down I've seen and felt on my head. At this point in time, it's difficult to discern if there will be changes in the color or curl. (Ate Malou always asks me to check if it's curly like a native.) About a month after that, real hair starts to grow at a rate normal for me, and at the two-month mark, I have roughly an inch of hair. The time it takes to grow back a full head of hair will vary, and will also depend on my chosen hairstyle (whether long or short) prior to chemotherapy.

Virgin hair closely resembles what my hair was like before chemotherapy, or, in many cases, they said can be an entirely new look. One thing is almost always the same as they told me; it is soft hair, silky to the touch, like a baby’s hair. Often hair comes in a different color, thicker, wavy, and even curly. 

This time, my hair color turns to grey, the texture is soft and silky like a real baby's hair. I think it's a return to what it was prior to chemo, but this can take the time they said. I opt for shorter styles, I notice this in 6 months. If I want to grow my hair longer, I think I will still have "chemo curls" for several years. In fact, it's not uncommon for women who dreaded curls to mourn the loss of the curls when it eventually happens. 

I love my new hair. I embrace the beautiful and priceless gift of God to give it back to me like a newborn baby. I think it's easy to make changes to your hair color or style should you wish to do so in the future but I realize that I love short hair on me!

Emotions During Hair Regrowth
I am always happy to see sprouts coming out. Spotting my first few hairs makes me cry. In my heart, OMG! I am alive. I felt anxious and it's exciting to touch from time to time. I saw a few hairs coming out even I am on my ongoing chemo treatment. Unlike other classmates, they said it's only after their end chemotherapy treatment that they started to spot their first hair growth. 

For me, my new hair is proof positive that hair does grow back. Having hair again makes me feel attractive to myself and confident that I am also attracted to my husband and to others. For me, hair growth confirms that I am on the road to wellness, that I am truly a cancer survivor soon. In Jesus's name, I ask this in prayer.

Yet, just as hair (or lack of hair) can be the focus onto which feelings without a home get dumped, the regrowth of hair is sometimes a focus for worries and concerns. I am not yet done with my chemo treatment, the tumor is still around. Like most cancer patients I am also excited to see and set my health free from any danger, yet I am ready to know any frequent experience as long as I won't let down myself. 

In the future, I think I will be being monitored so closely by healthcare professionals, it can be very disconcerting when visits are less frequent. Thoughts of the future also enter more clearly, as less energy is invested in dealing with day-to-day treatment. The fear of recurrence no matters the stage of fairly universal which I place in the hands of God.

Sometimes these fears and concerns are expressed as being hair-related. For example, I may express frustration with my new chemo side effects, body pains, muscle pains, many different pains, when actually I am really anxious about whether all cancer cells will go out of my body and if they are all finally out of my body, I hope it won't return at all or how I will live with my long or short life.

Caring for Virgin Hair (Products and Styling Products)
My Dermatologist recommended that I must avoid if at all possible styling products or curling and straightening devices. Coloring or bleaching could damage new hair as well as irritate a scalp that is still sensitive to cancer treatment.

Brushing and Drying
It is best to avoid strenuous or harsh brushing. I may wish to purchase a brush that I could use on a baby, as my hair will have a similar texture. If in case I need to use a hairdryer, use a low heat setting. But I never use a hairdryer at all. Punas punas lng talaga.

When to Trim and Cut
As per my Derma, doctors' advice, my new hair may be improved through regular cutting by removing the ends. It is important not to stress the hair by putting hair in tight, rolled-up styles can damage hair follicles; hair extensions and weaving can put a strain on existing hair.

Celebrating Survivorship With My New Baby Hair 
I and my husband shared one goal to fight a good fight every day since day 1 For a year and a half of not-so-easy daily life considering the treatment and its side effects are always beyond my understanding. I can only say that I am enjoying the new me seeing my miraculous new baby hair is a sign of hope and life. 

The bible said, "Ask and it shall be given. Seek and you shall find, knock and it will be open." God said, "He will never forsake me, He will always be beside me, He will not allow to harm me, I will continue to fulfill his plan for me. I will be blessed according to his riches and glory."


Taking a moment to learn about what I experienced having my new virgin hair, and how the emotions associated with my diagnosis may impact my feelings about many things including my hair, I still need to continue my treatment and for the same reason, I need to understand fully how it may help me feel more confident with my new look and free myself to enjoy the new me in a new point of perspective. It's time to celebrate the end of one discovery in my roller coaster journey leading to my series of chemotherapy treatments and the new, beautiful me in my own way of understanding how to continue and win this fight against my horrible disease!



Thank you for your time reading this blog. It might help, inspire or maybe give you a piece of personal information with regards to your many questions in mind. 



Popular posts from this blog

On My Way To Recovery After My Surgery!

Healing Prayer, Healing Doctor and Medical Healing Works Together!

1st Cycle Chemotherapy Treatment (1st Course) Prayers And Good Energy For A Vast Life-changing Experience!

How Radiation Treatment Cure Tumors And How My Faith Keeps Me In My Blue Ribbon Journey!

For Every Heart That Listens, There Is A Voice That Speaks!

Where There is Family, There is Love! Here, There, And Everywhere!

34th Chemo Treatment!

November 30, 2021 Abdominal Wall and Liver CT Scan!

Live Day By Day, One At A Time!